Friday, September 07, 2012

LOTR and Self Publishing

Publishing a book myself makes me feel very much like Frodo taking the Ring into Mordor. You know, he's just a little guy with a huge quest and there's no way he could ever get it done. Imagine that scene in Rivendell where everyone's deciding what should be done with the Ring.

Then suddenly it's you standing up, saying, "I will do it. I will tell the story, and I will publish the book."

A hush falls over everyone as they all turn to look at you with a mixture of fear and admiration on their faces. Then someone says, "Then you have my cover art."

"And my type-setting."

"And you can't go anywhere without my editing."

"Or my marketing skills."

Then, of course, your best friends barge in telling you that there's no way you're going to leave them behind. And while the publishing world isn't quite the fiery depths of Mordor, it's still a very scary place to go to all by yourself. Therefore, don't leave home without your Samwise Gamgee. I am not kidding about this. "Self-publishing" is a team effort, and all of my close friends and family know it. It's a scary world out there. Don't leave without help... and maybe take Orlando Bloom with you, too.


In other words... Thanks for all your help. You know who you are.

- Natasja