Monday, September 24, 2018

Conferences should be called proferences

I recently attended a conference for work at the Nottawasaga Inn. This is a fantastic place for a retreat, holiday, or just to enjoy a couple days off of real life. I loved every minute of it (and not just because I had a gigantic jacuzzi in my room).

View from a walking trail

We had a workshop on reader's advisory (for non-librarians, this is when you ask the lady at the desk for a "book maybe set in the 1800s or 1500s or even WWI with a strong female lead but if she falls in love with a general, too, then that's good.") We also had a great customer service workshop, which started with us identifying problems and the whole thing was just us finding the best way to deal with those problems in a professional and neutral manner.

We also got to see the fantastic makerspace at the Innisfil IdeaLab & Library. If you ever get a chance to check out their makerspace, take it! They have all kinds of fun stuff, like 3D printers, vinyl cutters, a CNC machine, a heat press, a host of design programs, and a full staff to help you create. It's really one of the neatest libraries I've been too.
The vinyl words and designed were made in-house

I think the most memorable workshop for me was about marketing and branding with Jamie Hardie. I'm totally plugging this guy because not only did I like his company's designs, but he is also a fantastic presenter! Very knowledgeable and friendly, did a fun marketing exercise with us, and left me with a lot of ideas. He even gave me some book recommendations afterwards. I emailed him after the session and in his reply he wrote, "P.S. Imagine your brand as the North Star for all decisions, as well as providing the basis for consumer-focused engagement." Didn't even ask, but the advice was definitely welcome!

All in all, I had a wonderful time, learned new things, made some connections, and now it's back to real life for me!
From the garden maintained by "Sue and the Gardening Crew."


- Natasja
 


No comments:

Post a Comment