Friday, April 06, 2018

Themes and other things

I think one of the hardest things people ask me when they find out I'm a writer is what do I write. It's hard because I have a variety of interests and tastes, and I can't even talk about the baker's dozen of unfinished books on my laptop. I write contemporary YA. Or dystopian YA. Sci fi. Historical fiction. Christian fiction. And a little bit of romance sprinkled throughout.
I also occasionally write blog posts

When I think about the books I have written and the ones I'm still working on, I notice a trend in themes rather than types of stories. I love a good coming-of-age story, or even just one with a lot of character development. I like to write about bullying, or just good ol' good-vs-evil type stuff. I like to throw my characters into situations where they're unequipped or unwilling and they always end up better for it.

Another major theme in my books is love, and I don't mean just romantic love (though there is a lot of that, too.) I mean like friendships and family and deep bonds that last forever and ever, far past the last pages of the book. I guess I'm just a happily-ever-kind of gal and I prefer saccarine endings to, well, anything else really. Sorry, Geoge R.R.R.R.R. (how many Rs?) Martin.

I guess the next time someone asks me what I write about, I'll tell them "happy things."

Happy reading!

- Natasja

No comments:

Post a Comment